"The history of God's people throughout all generations consists of choices made in response to him as we relate to one another in families, friendships, daily work, and the FESTIVE TIMES of which life is made. Our lives are part of a tapestry that has been in the making long before we were born and will continue after we've gone. God has woven each of us into a place and a role in the history of redemption. The photographs, diaries, and scrapbooks in which we chronicle our lives become avenues for remembering God's faithfulness to us and to his plan....by looking back over our written narratives and the images we've preserved on film, we gain perspective and are reminded of the ways He has strengthened us and changed our hearts or our circumstances. We can echo these words of the writer of Lamentations:
'Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.'" Lamentations 3:21-23
Documenting our histories gives us reference points for remembering the details of God's sovereign and loving care. Deuteronomy 4:9 tells us, 'Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.' Recalling the many ways God has comforted us in our troubles - tracing the evidence of his movement in our lives and his answers to our prayers aids us in giving to others the comfort and care we ourselves have received from him."
- Andi Ashworth in Real Love for Real Life
When I imagined having children one day, I never imagined this.....
I did not imagine that I would be the Mother of three sons. But God knew from before the Creation of the Universe that I would have the rich treasure of giving birth to these three male image bearers and that He had uniquely positioned me to be a Mother of Grooms.
Shortly after Taylor was born I was working as a Wedding Director on weekends and I began to watch the "MOTG" Mother of the Groom like never before. I began to wonder what that time might be like many years in the distance. I believe way back then God was giving me the grace to envision the delight of releasing sons into the treasure of starting their own new family with their wives. That day has come and passed. What a great JOY to see our two oldest, Taylor and Trent, become husbands, to Ashley and Meg!
These three sons have changed me in innumerable ways over the last 26 years.
They have led me into adventures I would never have even known could exist. They have led me to humbly face my inadequacies and cry out to God day after day. They have loved me and prayed for me and laughed with me and listened to me wrestle, read stories, sing, and so much more. They have invited me to exercise muscles of faith - each of them from their tiniest beginnings. I am so rich because I have been given the gift of life long friendship with these three sons!
Over the previous 25 years if someone would have told me that within a three week period of time when I was 50 years old, that I would be the Mother of not one, but two grooms, I would have been shocked and stunned! But again, God knew this beautiful, brilliant, grace filled gift before my life even began. "My life is in the hands of the Maker of Heaven." Truly. The expansive faithfulness of God has been on display as He has provided for our every need!




No comments:
Post a Comment